Homemade Toothpaste

Posted on | October 5, 2010 | 8 Comments

Each ingredient serves a purpose as follows:

-Coconut oil not only gives the toothpaste a paste quality, it is also a natural anti-bacterial.
-Baking soda is a mild abrasive & also combats odors naturally.
-Xylitol gives the paste a sweeter taste, as the baking soda is extremely salty tasting. It has a cooling taste to it, making your mouth feel cool & fresh. The xylitol is also excellent for dental
health.
-Peppermint oil (or other oils) gives your mouth a clean minty feel & taste.

Sunflower Seed Butter
Momma's Dental Healing Smoothie

Comments

8 Responses to “Homemade Toothpaste”

1. Kelle
    October 6th, 2010 @ 7:44 am

Look great, only thing I'd add is a salt water rinse before you brush as well as after to get your mouth back to an alkaline state.

We like spearmint and cinnamin oil too, just to change things around a bit *wink*

Hey, quick ? are you having problems with TOL?
    Blessings,
    Kelle

2. Michaela Dunn Leeper
    October 6th, 2010 @ 7:48 am

I like doing vanilla mint, sometimes. YUM!

TOL- Honey, I haven't been on there in AGES! Sorry!

3. freerangegirl
    October 7th, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I love your ingenuity michaela!

4. Barbie
    January 10th, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

I am enjoying you site.

5. 21 Non-Toxic Coconut Oil Skin Care Recipes
    June 23rd, 2013 @ 11:32 pm

[…] Homemade Peppermint Coconut Oil Toothpaste Image Courtesy of Vicariously Vintage […]

6. Dawn
    April 1st, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Is it safe to keep dipping the toothbrush… Isn’t that germy?

October 28th, 2014 @ 11:59 pm

Dawn, coconut oil is actually touted as an anti-bacterial. I haven’t had an issue with it going bad/stinky/discoloured or otherwise noticeably “germy.” I feel for myself it is safe to use, though, even as an antibacterial, I start fresh after an illness. I’m confident to use this myself, but I would definitely not bat a lash if you wanted to do some research for yourself. I highly encourage it, actually! The jar you see is pretty small, so there’s not a lot of waste should I have to dispose of it.

8. Jump Start Your Health With Coconut Oil (A Round Up of Over 80 Coconut Oil Recipes Plus Over 30 Informational Posts) Hybrid Rasta Mama
    July 19th, 2014 @ 11:32 pm