Orange Oil Cleaner

Posted on | March 16, 2012 | 16 Comments

I heard about this from a friend of mine, then embarked on a search for more information. Everybody’s doing so why shouldn’t I? And you, too!! 🙂 This is one of the easiest things to do, and it goes right along with my waste not, want not tendencies. 😀

When life hands you leftover chicken.....
Homemade Taco Seasoning

Comments

16 Responses to “Orange Oil Cleaner”

1. Sheree
    March 16th, 2012 @ 10:36 am

I love my orange peel cleaner! Been using it for a while now and it’s fabulous!

2. Starlene
    March 25th, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

This is cool! My mom has a giant lemon tree and she would probably love to know about this. I just shared on my Facebook fan page, too.
    Starlene recently posted..Perfect Scrambled Eggs – How to Make Them

March 25th, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

Thank you! We love it. It doesn’t smell as strong as plain vinegar, which during allergy season, is awful!

4. Gavi
    April 4th, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

I’ve been using this method since my children were small (all in their 20’s & 30’s now). I learned this from my grandma. It works wonderfully well!

April 4th, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

It certainly does! I love “old-timer” wisdom! Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment.

6. melanie
    April 4th, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

This is great! Could it be used the same way as Bac-out? I found a recipe for orange enzyme cleaner but it was all metric – so I’m glad for this version. Thanks!

April 4th, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

I have a recipe that I found for enzyme cleaner based on weight. Maybe we have the same recipe? The gal that writes the blog is across the pond. I made the enzyme cleaner, & it works fabulously. Based on an experiment, it also has the same chemical make up as bac-out. I don’t think this would work like the enzyme cleaner. It’s not fermented & it becomes oily. I’d imagine if you used it on clothes, it would leave oil marks. I suppose you could try it on an old shirt or piece of cloth, though?

8. Margi Macdonald
    April 4th, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

I do this with lemons.
    In my sub-tropical life, I find it works very well on mould… even in the bathroom grouting.
    Margi Macdonald recently posted..Sunday, Bach and Il Giardino Armonico

9. From Harsh Cleaners To Their Natural Counterparts : Retro Momma, Vintage Wife
    April 18th, 2012 @ 12:06 am

[…] rid of the all-purpose spray cleaner- My absolute favourite has been my Orange Oil Cleaner. DA BOMB! My 2nd favourite is equal parts of vinegar & […]

10. Colleen
    July 26th, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

Must you use the peel only, or is it ok if there is some of the inside left, for instance, what you have left of an orange ofter you squeeze the juice out of it with a juicer?

July 26th, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

I’ve used peels with little bits left, like when we have Mexican food, & we squeeze lime over, we throw those wedges in as well.

12. Nicolas
    October 6th, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

We’re really excited to start this new method of cleaning! I have a question, though: I’ve read that regular supermarket produce (including oranges) are sprayed with a petroleum-based wax to “preserve their freshness.” Can I still use these peels unwashed, or is it necessary to buy organic or unwaxed citrus fruits for this purpose?

October 7th, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Organic is always best, otherwise you do run the risk of spraying pesticides in your home.

14. Leslie
    October 20th, 2012 @ 11:27 am

I have been using this all purpose cleaner for several months now, and love it. When the lemons are “past their prime” and starting to break down, I throw them in the food processor and then put the puree in the garbage disposal to freshen it up.

15. Leslie
    October 20th, 2012 @ 11:28 am

ps. I’m very glad I found your blog.

16. RECIPE: Nourishing Citrus Smoothies | Shesourceful
    March 11th, 2013 @ 4:22 am

[…] So enjoy its wonderfully tart taste, the beauty benefits, and then use the peels to make a non-toxic cleaner. […]