Kicking the Canned Bean Habit *aka* Cooking Dried Beans

Posted on | March 30, 2012 | 8 Comments

Cooking dried beans is not near as intimidating as it’s made out to be. Quite the contrary. While it does take time, hands on time is minimal.

This post is part of the following blog carnivals: MYO Mondays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Creative Juice, Simple Lives, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways

Mango Smoothies
Cinnamon Vanilla Kefir

Comments

8 Responses to “Kicking the Canned Bean Habit *aka* Cooking Dried Beans”

1. Mrs. Z
    April 5th, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

What do you turn the crock pot on to? High? Low?

April 5th, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

Whoops! Sorry, I’ll add that in. I do it on low. :-)

April 5th, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Oh, haha. I already had it in there. It does specify low.

4. Bama Girl
    April 5th, 2012 @ 8:56 pm

Hello! I love the idea of using your slow-cooker for this process! I just recently started canning my own dried beans and love that process! I can ‘can’ up to twenty pints at a time! I love canning, but during the canning process, I had extra beans so I froze them. I love learning new things that make life a little easier! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

April 5th, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

I like to can mine, too, but we’ve been through a rough patch. Freezing is a great interim for me, and I can keep beans available. Thanks for stopping by!

6. Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures
    April 8th, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)
    Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures recently posted..Best Chocolate Cake Ever – Chocolate Sourdough with Chocolate Coconut Cream Frosting

7. The Basic Pantry List : Retro Momma, Vintage Wife
    May 2nd, 2012 @ 10:11 am

[...] preferably dried. They are a cinch to make if you make if you make a large batch at a time & freeze them. They do take some time, but hands on time is [...]

8. Travel Food, and Those Left Behind… : Retro Momma, Vintage Wife
    June 14th, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

[...] her, yay! I’ve got her buying some organics, using coconut oil, making bone broth & batch cooking beans. This trip she’s gonna learn how to make [...]