Homemade Steam Inhaler

Posted on | May 4, 2012 | 12 Comments

Please do not use this as an asthma inhaler. Period. ALWAYSALWAYS get your paid medical provider’s advice before using anything on this site. There is good discussion in the comments on people’s various feelings. I suggest you read them, & as usual refer back to your doctor or professional practitioner. Please do your research, I beg you! This was written quite sometime ago, & in that time, things have changed. I’ve even learned more, as more info becomes available. I’m not a doctor. I’m not a health practitioner. I only share what works for us! Happy healing!

I’ll be honest. I have had an epinephrine inhaler in my house at all times in my adult life. I will also tell you that I’m only on my 2nd one. I use them that little & only when needed. I wasn’t planning on stopping my use of them. I get horrible cold symptoms beyond typical cold symptoms once every year or 2. I get clogged everything & short of breath. Typically it stems off of a respiratory illness. I got one this year. My inhaler ran out. I found they quit selling them OTC. I’m sure it’s a blessing, because I certainly don’t condone the use of those things.

Please don’t look in my closet. There are MANY skeletons…

Ahem.

While perusing Amazon for an inhaler (to gauge what kind of money I was looking at), I found one of these. Now while I’m SURE it’s worth the price, I just don’t have that kinda cash right now.

We had a frost recently. I’m sure it killed the money tree in the backyard.

Right???

Yesterday we went to the local farmers market, but we were super early. I decided to stop by our local health food store to see if they had yet gotten in lavender oil (I’ve been calling & stopping by for a few weeks now, waiting for it to come in. It was in & I got a bottle, by the way). I was trying to describe the inhaler above to the gal to no avail. She then pointed out one of these. $19.95, she was asking for it. MUCH better than the almost 50 for the first one. I decided I wanted to come home & check reviews before making the purchase. I also wanted to see how much money I could save by finding it on Amazon, should that be the route I chose. It’s one of those things where you add a packet of herbal stuff to the base & top it off with boiling water & inhale the steam.

Then this morning comes. I awake. I feel quite good actually, but over the course of the next couple hours, I become miserable. I find my chest tight & breathing shallow. So, I turn to various vapor rub recipes found all over the web.

And I come up with a wonderful cold inhaler recipe, complete with steam. Sebastion tried it & had snot he didn’t even realize he had come loose. My chest loosened up within a couple of minutes. Sure, it makes your eyes water, but I’m jiggy with that.

PS- I do not have gray hair. Yet.

Those cast iron pans.....
Real Food Vs. Processed Foods, Let’s Compare Costs!

Comments

12 Responses to “Homemade Steam Inhaler”

1. Kathy (aka Mrs Dull)
    May 5th, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

I will have to give this a try! I also have an inhaler and have to use it too often still … But it is getting much better. I have asthma, have had since I was a kid. Adding lots of nutrient dense food to my diet has made a big dent in my inflammation … still have a ways yet to go. It’s a work in progress πŸ™‚
    Kathy (aka Mrs Dull) recently posted..Fast Easy Busy Day Meal Southern Style

May 6th, 2012 @ 1:02 am

I have found since getting nourished, MANY ailments we have had have vanished. I pray yours continues to heal!

3. Heather
    May 8th, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

How potent would you describe this as being? You say it made your (an adult) eyes water. I’m thinking of my 6yo son. Do you think I should start with the minimum amount of drops listed in your recipe?

May 8th, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

It’s really going to depend on how severe the symptoms are & how quickly you want to get rid of them. I would definitely recommend the lowest amount of oils to begin, regardless of the age of the person. We’re all different. See how that feels to you as to whether he can handle them. If you feel it’s too potent, still, add more water. Last but not least, you can just have him breathe the steam without cupping the jar.

5. Jennifer
    May 8th, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

This is a great concept. I do this frequently, except the oils you are using are filled with synthetics like petroleum, fillers, and pesticides. Be very careful with what you’re inhaling and applying to your skin, as our skin is our largest organ.

God bless!

Jennifer

May 8th, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

I agree that we need to be careful. As with almost everything- moderation is key. In this day, there is absolutely zero avoiding toxins. It’s impossible.

7. Denise
    May 8th, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

We do the same thing with cinnamon, clove, and thyme. Wonder what the difference is. Though, we first used it for pneumonia – worked like a charm.

May 8th, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Funny you post this. I had actually considered cinnamon in mine. πŸ™‚

9. Stephanie
    May 8th, 2012 @ 1:53 pm

This seems like way too much work during an asthma attack. My 3 yr old has viral induced asthma and we can go from no symptoms to the croup in no time flat. We use an essential oil blend called Breathe (FYI, purity and potency of essential oils is extremely IMPORTANT to consider and just because the bottle says 100% pure does not mean that it is). We put 2 drops with a small amount of water in her nebulizer and turn it on. You can also put a drop in your mouth and/or rub it in the palms of your hands and create a personal diffuser. It works way better than traditional meds every time for us. Check out my blog and posts on Asthma. We only use doTERRA. This is a great idea, but just seems like too much work when your child can’t breathe.

May 8th, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

I have now written an intro for this post. Maybe that will help. It seems everyone is calling this an actual ASTHMA inhaler, which it is not. I would hope that no one would take the word of a random blog on the internet over their medical/holistic practitioner’s advice, which is why I have had a full disclaimer in place for some time now.

Thank you for sharing what works for you πŸ™‚

11. Susan
    August 30th, 2015 @ 12:04 pm

Dear Vintage Wife et al, it is really, really important to use therapeutic grade essential oils if you are going to put them into or on your body. The picture of Aura Cacia oils does not even come close to that category. There are many places to gettruely 100% therapeutic grade oils…Young Living, Original Swiss Aromatics, Rocky Mountain oils all have quality, unadulterated EO’s. FYI the FDA says that only 5% of the oil content has to be pure to call the entire batch 100% pure…the companies i just mentioned actually put in the whole 100% not just the 5% and call it 100%. Unfortunately i disagree with Stephanie in the above post because doTerra has been found clinically to not be what they claim. If i could find the article i would post it here or give you a link.

12. mike
    August 30th, 2015 @ 2:35 pm

I feel the need to warn everyone of the dangers of inhaling any oils that contain petroleum products, as Jennifer mentioned above. This will coat the alveoli in your lungs and create a very dangerous situation, the LEAST of which is an extreme increase of the likelihood of pneumonia.