Beef Jerky

Posted on | February 9, 2013 | 6 Comments

One of the things we’ve missed since going whole foods is homemade beef jerky. Organic beef jerky is expensive. Gluten free is, too. I refuse to use liquid smoke. On occasion, special occasions such as road trips, we’d buy a small bag of beef jerky. Yup, I know. They make it using the same liquid smoke I was refusing to use.

I went gluten free in July of last year & just a few months ago, so did my now 9-year-old. Store bought jerky became a big no-no for us.

It just so happens that I also found smoked salt about the time I went gluten free. If you’ve followed my blog for any amount of time, you know I think smoked salt is addictive. It’s also the perfect way to make a wholesome, gluten free, know-what’s-in-it beef jerky. We’re in love with this jerky. Apparently, so are Hubba’s employees… Hm.

Do you have a perfect real food jerky recipe?

[boilerplate siggy]

Kicking the Canned Bean Habit *aka* Cooking Dried Beans
Quick & Easy Insalata Caprese With a Tang

Comments

6 Responses to “Beef Jerky”

1. amanda
    February 9th, 2013 @ 9:31 am

I’m curious what kind of dehydrator you use.

February 9th, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

Amanda, right now I’m back to using a cheapie dehydrator. Hoping to re-upgrade again soon with summer coming or make a solar dehydrator. You can also use the oven- most ovens go down to 170, so 170* with a folded oven mitt slightly propping the door open. This keeps it from getting TOO hot & allows moisture to escape.

3. Michelle
    April 23rd, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

What kind of Worchestershire sauce do you use? Mine has all kinds of nasty ingredients. Just wondering, thanks.

April 23rd, 2013 @ 5:42 pm

Michelle, I like to make my own: http://www.vicariouslyvintage.com/2010/02/21/emerils-worcestershire-sauce/ It’s a tedious process to make it, but the taste is AMAZING!

However, when I can’t, I find Lea & Perrins has the least offensive ingredient list among the easy to get sauces. Otherwise, they have some organic ones floating around out there.

5. Kevin
    May 23rd, 2016 @ 11:38 pm

Love that you use smoked salt on your jerky as opposed to just regular salt. The smokiness really kicks it up in flavor I feel. Thanks for sharing this!

6. Mike
    May 16th, 2017 @ 4:50 pm

This is great. Never thought about using smoked salt to replace some of the smokiness of most beef jerky. Going to have to look into this as a way of making things a little more naturally.