How To Get (Almost) Any Kid To Eat Kale

Posted on | May 23, 2013 | 12 Comments

I know most of you have read if before, but for my new readers, it bears repeating. I have a picky eater. He’s actually my 2nd picky eater out of 3. My middle child LOVED food from the beginning. At just a few years old, he could be playing quietly in his room for hours. I wouldn’t hear a peep from him. No sooner than I’d sit down with a bowl of raw veg & a ramekin of ranch dressing than that kid was all up in mah grill. Begging. For. Some. Veg&Ranch. I learned quickly to make it a BIG bowl.

[boilerplate ffaf]

My oldest was picky, too. Now he’s a teen & eats anything that isn’t nailed, screwed or glued down. Ok, yes. That’s an exaggeration, but seriously, the boy.can.eat. I’m in awe daily of where he’s come from the scrawny little tot that we had to tell everything was pork. Or chicken. Or whatever the fancy of the moment was. I’ve always been a little sneaky. They’ve always known, though. They just might not know when.

I’ve spent years adding spinach to smoothies, liver to meat dishes, squash puree to mac & cheese, cauliflower to mashed potatoes, pumpkin to spaghetti sauce, etc. I’ve become quite the pro. Last fall I got some organic spinach on a great deal & dehydrated it. I vacuum sealed it & stashed it away in the pantry. And then I forgot about it. OOPS!

About a week ago, I went to my “egg & kale lady” at the farmers market. Normally, I buy 2 bags of kale, but this time I decided to get 4.  I wanted to dehydrate 2 bags & sneak it into wee bub’s food. He was pretty excited. He WANTS to eat better, he just doesn’t like a lot of things. He’s getting better at eating more, too. I’m hoping when he becomes a teen, he’ll eat me out of house & home, too. Yeah. I just said that.

There goes your college funds, boys!

Anyhoo, I brought my bags of kale home & washed 2 bags to begin dehydrating. It took a couple of days, because kale is so big fresh. Here’s what I did. I do my sneaky spinach the same way, so if you have spinach, by all means try it!

This post shared at GNOWFGLINS, Fresh Bites Friday, Fight Back Friday, fat-tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

[boilerplate ctf]

[boilerplate siggy]

Real Food Vs. Processed Foods, Let’s Compare Costs!
Fisherman Eggs + a Collection of Egg Recipes

Comments

12 Responses to “How To Get (Almost) Any Kid To Eat Kale”

1. angi
    May 23rd, 2013 @ 9:02 am

I’ll have to try that. I don’t have picky eaters but we’ve been growing kale and Swiss Chard all winter and eating it in some form every day. They’re tired of it but it’s still growing and I hate to just pull it out. They were so excited to have zucchini this week.

May 23rd, 2013 @ 9:52 am

It’s definitely a good way to just store it, too! Hope this works for you. Mmmmm, I can’t wait til the farmers market gets zucchini. I love that, too!

3. Sherri @The Well Floured Kitchen
    May 23rd, 2013 @ 2:22 pm

That’s a good idea! My kids love kale chips, but what a mess they make when they eat them, all those little crumbs (definitely an outdoor snack.) I never thought to crumble dried kale like an herb.

May 23rd, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

I feel the same way about seaweed snacks! LOL

Hope you get some use out of this 🙂

5. Dina-Marie @ Cultured Palate
    May 24th, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

I must confess that I have never tasted kale before! This sounds good though so maybe I will give it a shot – thanks!

I would love to have you link-up on Thursdays at Tasty Traditions
    Dina-Marie @ Cultured Palate recently posted..Photography Class

May 24th, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Oooo, I just found your linky party last night & had added it to my list to jump on in the future. I’ll have my son add us to yours today, though! Thanks!

Also, I just tried kale less than a year ago. My number 1 fave veggie now!!!

7. Kristen @ Smithspirations
    June 4th, 2013 @ 3:16 pm

I love kale, but my children aren’t huge fans of it unless I make it into chips. When it’s made like that, they will argue over who got more! I rub the leaves with oil and vinegar, then sprinkle them with salt. I’ve only done them in the oven so far, but have a dehydrator now and want to try them in there.
    Kristen @ Smithspirations recently posted..It’s Marriage Month!

June 4th, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

I wish I could get my youngest to eat it like that but nope. He won’t even touch kale chips 🙁

9. Leah
    July 12th, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

I just chop fresh kale up small as I would an herb and throw it into anything from sauces to soups and they eat it! No dehydrating needed 🙂
    Leah recently posted..Up and Running!

July 12th, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

I’ve done this before, too! I like dehydrating it, because I can keep it on hand at all times. There’s no prep work each time I need it, & I can keep it handy with my spices.

11. An American
    July 12th, 2013 @ 11:12 pm

I used to take a can of green beans which I hate to eat myself and puree them with a hand blender. I would add this to a pot of spaghetti sauce and the kids would never know I enjoyed it as well. I did a lot of vegies like this the kids never knew. Chili was another dish I would add cans of pureed vegies to with out any one being the wiser.

12. Bonnie
    July 12th, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

Sounds good. The picky eater in the family is me, but would love to get the good nutrition. Thanks.