Udi’s Review- And a Recipe For Chili Burgers!

Posted on | June 20, 2013 | 1 Comment

Recently I was sent a box full of Udi’s gluten free goodies to try & review. Imagine my surprise when we received not only breads & buns, but tortillas, pizza crusts, muffins & cookies! Now imagine my 9 year old’s excitement. Since we don’t buy a lot of processed foods, this is truly a treat for him. While he tried to confiscate it all for himself, Mom stepped in & we’re sharing with the rest of the family, LOL!

Now, don’t get me wrong, we try to follow a mostly whole foods diet, but we don’t sweat the small stuff. We aim for 80% or more. I was so relieved when I found an article on a popular traditional foods site stating that you would be ok eating 80% good stuff & not worrying about the other 20%!!

First, we tried the Double Vanilla Muffins. Oh my! The 9 year old & I thought they tasted like Angel Food Cake. 1 kiddo said pound cake & another said sugar cookies. Such a variety, but needless to say, we all enjoyed them! Keenan’s first bite of the gluten free bun with his hot dog & he exclaimed “THESE BUNS ARE GOOD!” O_o He’s never said that about another store bought GF bun before. We typically find them very dry & tasteless. He knows exactly where to find the Udi’s stuff in the store, & he knows the Udi’s ones have always been the best tasting.

Over the next few days we also tried the Chocolate Brownie Bites, Chia Millet Bread, Blueberry Muffins & the hamburger buns. All items were met with sounds of “Yum!” Everything was moister than most brands of gluten free items. We’ve also already tried Udi’s multi-grain bread, pizza crusts & a few other items in the past. Keenan & I love having a pizza option when we make Friday night pizza. The rest of the guys have tried the pizzas as well, & they’ve enjoyed them as well.

Udi’s makes it easy to enjoy many of the items you may have before going gluten free. I love that they’re priced comparably & some items slightly less than their competitor’s, but the Udi’s brand items don’t taste like cardboard. Many times, we’ve tried things & had to wash it down with long slugs of something, anything, liquid. Then we’ve promptly thrown those things away. We simply couldn’t get them down. We’d become accustomed to using either Udi’s sandwich breads or simply eating the meats on their own, no bread involved, on the days I’m not able to get something baked ahead of time.

Since we were enjoying these new yummies, I wanted to do something really special with the buns we received. I decided I wanted to make a “chili burger.” So, I won’t have you wait any longer. Run to the store, get your ingredients, & while you’re at it, grab a pack of Udi’s buns from the freezer or natural section of the store. Of course, Udi’s is made with no preservatives, so if you’re not planning on using them right away, or if you have leftovers, store them in the freezer.

 


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michaela- homeschooling Mom to 3 boys, wife to one wonderful Hubba, kitty-momma, likes gardening/sewing/baking/cooking/a multitude of other things.

I am not in any sort of medical field, be it for animals or humans. Some links might be affiliates. I appreciate your click-throughs to help support the blog & keep it going. Use all advice, recipes, how-to’s & links at your own risk. Please read full disclaimers here.

Thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day!”

Like this? You may also be interested in:

Carrot cake with yoghurt cheese glaze
Udi's On The Go review!

Comments

One Response to “Udi’s Review- And a Recipe For Chili Burgers!”

  1. barbequing with udi’s gluten-free foods! | A Life in Balance
    December 21st, 2013 @ 5:37 am

    [...] Chili Burgers from Living Vicariously Vintage [...]

Leave a Reply





CommentLuv badge